Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Library Research - Typography 1

Source: HELLER, S. and ANDERSON, G. 2010. New Ornamental Type: Decorative Lettering in the Digital Age. New York: Thames & Hudson. 

As a journalist, I am used to work with letters. The Graphic Planning course that I took during my undergrad had a lot of typography research. Nowadays, I am back to school and I've decided to start studying typography again. This is my first day of research at the Library and I found very interesting books about this field. 

I was impressed with the creativity of the work they have in the book New Ornamental Type - Decorative Lettering in the Digital Age. This picture is called The Puti Tree. It was made by the Design Firm Khaki Creative & Design under the supervision of the art director Nod Young.

According to him, the picture was created as an interpretation of two poems quoted form the original Zen classic, The Plataform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch, which dates almost 1,500 years. The picture was not based in any primary font and is Young's interpretation of design and Buddhism, as he explained in the book.

Although it has some cold colors, the picture is not cold or sad at all. It is energetic, innovative, playful and spontaneous.     

No comments:

Post a Comment